Payne Whitney Gymnasium is a Collegiate Gothic building constructed in 1932. At twelve acres, it is the largest gymnasium in the nation and one of the most elaborate and complete indoor athletic facilities in the world. The Lanman Center addition (1999) includes basketball, volleyball, badminton, and squash courts, a one-eighth-mile indoor running track, and the only all-glass-wall court in the country.
The Old Campus quadrangle on the block west of the New Haven Green features a large courtyard, long walkways, and a grand entrance from the green at Phelps Gate. Among its dormitories, classrooms, chapels, and offices is Yale’s (and New Haven’s) oldest building, Connecticut Hall (1750–52).
Harkness Memorial Tower, completed in 1921, was at the time the tallest (216 feet) freestanding masonry tower in the country. This prominent Yale icon contains a 54-bell carillon that is played daily by student and professional carillonneurs.
Commons was built in 1901–02 to serve as the dining hall for the entire University. It is now the freshman dining hall and cafeteria for faculty and staff. Commons covers 60,859 square feet and seats 1,200.
Sterling Memorial Library was completed in 1930. It is a Collegiate Gothic building with a dramatic nave and other features reminiscent of the great cathedrals of Europe. The library is so designed that all public reading rooms and departments are on the entrance floor; the stacks occupy sixteen floors in the tower.
The Yale Bowl, which opened on November 21, 1914, is a truly spectacular football stadium: 930 feet long, 750 feet wide, covering 12 1/2 acres. It has a seating capacity of 61,446, and every seat has an unobstructed view of the playing field.